This is George Bush’s accountability moment. That’s why I’m here. The mainstream media aren’t holding him accountable. Neither is Congress. So I’m not leaving Crawford until he’s held accountable. - Cindy Sheehan

There are things worth fighting for. And there are even some worth dying for. But Iraq is not one of them. - James Moore

      
Marriage is love.

Friday, July 01, 2005

From a letter to my Senator

I cringe when I say his name - Tom Coburn. He declined to support the Resolution of Inquiry. Of course. This is part of my response.

How can anyone doubt that George Bush lied us into war after reading these comments by Mickey Herskowitz?

In 1999, Bush was already speaking privately about the advantages of invading Iraq.
"He was thinking about invading Iraq in 1999," said author and journalistMickey Herskowitz (who had been hired by Bush to ghost-write his autobiography). "It was on his mind. He said to me: 'One of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as a commander-in-chief.' And he said, 'My father had all this political capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it.' He said, 'If I have a chance to invade· if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste it. I'm going to get everything passed that I want to get passed and I'm going to have a successful presidency." Herskowitz said that Bush expressed frustration at a lifetime as an underachiever in the shadow of an accomplished father. In aggressive military action, he saw the opportunity to emerge from his father's shadow. The moment, Herskowitz said, came in the wake of the September 11 attacks. "Suddenly, he's at 91 percent in the polls, and he'd barely crawled out of the bunker."

More damning still, in my opinion, is this statement, which can be found at: http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1028-01.htm

According to Herskowitz, George W. Bush's beliefs on Iraq were based in part on a notion dating back to the Reagan White House - ascribed in part to now-vice president Dick Cheney, Chairman of the House Republican Policy Committee under Reagan. "Start a small war. Pick a country where there is justification you can jump on, go ahead and invade."

That is exactly what the Bush administration did. They fabricated the justification and then they jumped on it, and went ahead and invaded.

If we as elected representatives and individual citizens did not understand this in the run up to the war, we have no excuse now. The facts are out there, in spite of George Bush's attempts to obscure and deny them. We just need to do the reading and connect the dots. The Downing Street Memos can serve as a guide. An unprovoked and illegal war is being fought in our names. American troops and innocent Iraqis are dying as you read this letter. It is our moral responsibility as human beings to stop the bloodshed. It is our moral responsibility to demand the truth and to demand accountability for the actions of this President and his administration. I expect you as my Congressman to pursue every avenue available to you to expose the true road to war in Iraq. Supporting a Resolution of Inquiry would be an appropriate first step. I urge you to follow Representative John Conyers' courageous lead. The people of this nation hunger for the truth. We thirst for it. And make no mistake, we WILL have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home