This is George Bush’s accountability moment. That’s why I’m here. The mainstream media aren’t holding him accountable. Neither is Congress. So I’m not leaving Crawford until he’s held accountable. - Cindy Sheehan

There are things worth fighting for. And there are even some worth dying for. But Iraq is not one of them. - James Moore

      
Marriage is love.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

All of the next ones are on us


We say nothing as our troops die in Iraq

BY FRED GRIMM
Knight Ridder Newspapers via BuzzFlash

"Fourteen Marines died in Iraq last week when a roadside bomb exploded near their AAVP7A1 troop carrier. Designed to travel through surf, traverse, hit the beach and carry troops inland at maybe 20 mph, it was definitely not designed to withstand the most-effective weapon in the insurgency's arsenal.

And that's on you.

U.S. Marines, 500 miles from the Persian Gulf, are being bused around in lightly armored amphibious landing vehicles. And you won't get off your ass and raise hell. "

And there is more at the link above.

You know, I found it easy at first to laugh at the Yellow Elephants, but I haven't been looking at the OYE site much lately. It isn't as funny when you start to see the resemblances. It could just as easily be me with my head in that champagne bucket. What have I done to support the troops, other than sell anti-war bumper stickers and yak on the blogs, send emails to the MSM and my congressmen? It is easy to sit on the porch and have a drink and talk with like-minded family and friends, but I quickly get out of my comfort zone when I think about making a public statement on the war. I told David Swanson, at AfterDowningStreet.org, that I was nervous about hosting a DSM event. He replied, "We don't have time to be nervous."

He was right, if people like me continue to wring our hands about being too nervous, all the next ones are going to be on us.

4 Comments:

Blogger rightsvault said...

I agee with your post. Hey check this out--You're Going To LOVE This Site. Visit this Free Software Downloads Site!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Hi Via! I linked to that same Max story from Huffington's, too. I was just infuriated by the image of those punk-ass GOP bitches boozing it up against the image of the devastated Ohio parents. Locally (Cleveland area) there has been 1 family of a fallen who have been very vocal about being against this war and incredibly pissed that their son was killed last week. It didn't take the news more than 1 broadcast of those parents to quickly clamp down on that kind of dissention. My hubby and I are so disgusted with our state.... our only hope is that our jackass criminal Governor Taft will be wearing steel bracelets soon when all is said and done in the Coingate scandal- and we hope that he takes J (for Judas I imagine) Kenneth Blackwell with him on his way to the bighouse.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Grandpa Eddie said...

These chickenhawk-chickenshits sit here and get drunk and talk about how wonderful fuckin' Bush's lovely little war is while the Bravehearts are dying so the assholes can stay home and party-on.

7:48 PM  
Blogger granny said...

Tell me about the picture, it would be good to use with my spittoon metaphor--you really can't take a sip because it's all connected.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home