This is George Bush’s accountability moment. That’s why I’m here. The mainstream media aren’t holding him accountable. Neither is Congress. So I’m not leaving Crawford until he’s held accountable. - Cindy Sheehan

There are things worth fighting for. And there are even some worth dying for. But Iraq is not one of them. - James Moore

      
Marriage is love.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

It's semantics


"Air crash in Toronto: It's nothing short of a miracle.

This is just what Canada's Transport Minister said. All people, 197 passengers and 12 crew members, is alive." (Hey, and shouldn't that be "are" alive?)

I don't like that word being thrown around casually . Don't get me wrong, I was relieved and thankful that everyone got off that plane alive. But it wasn't a "miracle". What if some had died? Would it have meant that they were unworthy of a miracle? We they cursed? I believe in the power of words more than in the power of an intervening being. The passengers survived because they and the flight crew did exactly what they had been trained to do in case of an emergency.

And I am damn sure going to count the rows to the nearest exit and pay closer attention to the flight crew during taxi next flight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home