This is George Bush’s accountability moment. That’s why I’m here. The mainstream media aren’t holding him accountable. Neither is Congress. So I’m not leaving Crawford until he’s held accountable. - Cindy Sheehan

There are things worth fighting for. And there are even some worth dying for. But Iraq is not one of them. - James Moore

      
Marriage is love.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Zelary

I am slowly working my way through the subtitles section at our local Blockbuster. I'd like to recommend Zelary, nominated for 2004 Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film.

A young medical student and member of the Czech Resistance is almost captured, and is forced to go into hiding in a tiny mountain village. In order not to raise suspicion, she marries Joza, a stranger whose life she helped to save after a sawmill accident.

I am humbled when I think of the conditions under which people lived during the Nazi occupation. I don't think I would have survived, or have had the courage to help others when faced by that overwhelming evil. This is a beautiful and poignant film, and I hope you will rent it. I forgot to check the credits, but the music is haunting. It reminds me of Michael Nyman, who composed the music for Jane Campion's The Piano. I'd love to know what you think.

You can view the trailer at
http://www.sonyclassics.com/zelary/

1 Comments:

Blogger Cynikell said...

I've added this to my Blockbuster queue... it sounds really interesting.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home